After 1990 'Station Z' - the extermination buildings in Sachsenhausen - became the central place of remembrance and the ruins of the crematorium, the shooting installation and the gas chamber replaced the importance of the East German obelisk. 'Station Z' was built in 1942 and was destroyed by the Kasernierte Volkspolizei in 1952/3. The foundations of the building were integrated into the national memorial in 1961 and were covered with a monumental roof.
In April 2004 work began on the cement roof, this was built towards the
end of the 1950s and was beyond repair. In summer 2004 a new hall will be
built according to Prof. HG Merz's plans. This will protect the ruins of
the extermination buildings and crematorium from the weather. The old camp
wall will be rebuilt using panels made of fibreglass and concrete. It is
here that in April 2005 the exhibition 'murder and mass murder in
Sachsenhausen concentration camp 1939 - 1945' will be on display. The
entrance to the memorial will then be through an opening to the north of
the mass graves.
Photo: Inside of 'Station Z' (model) (Photo: Prof. HG Merz Architekten)
There will be a place of remembrance for around 200 people under the protective covering, a self-supporting 37 x 39 metre structure of translucent material. The area in front of the structure offers room for larger gatherings. A number of ditches full of human ashes which were discovered in the 1990s near to 'Station Z' have been marked as graves. Until the inauguration on the 60th anniversary of the liberation on 17 April 2005, the foundations of the extermination buildings and the graves are not accessible to visitors.