The brickworks was almost completely destroyed during an allied bombing raid on 10 April 1945, during which around 200 prisoners were killed. Their remains, buried in the bomb craters, were probably never recovered.
After the war ended, the red army transported all of the brickworks' machinery and tools to the USSR before destroying and flattening the buildings. In 1951 the land was given back to the town of Oranienburg and taken over by the East German military which closed it to civilians. They used the land for driving instruction and a military unit used it to practice in case of chemical, biological or nuclear attack.
In 1991 the district of Oberhavel changed the status of the area to an industrial estate. Immediately after the fall of state communism, the area had been used as an illegal rubbish dump. In 1991 the company Havelbeton bought the land and it was fenced off.
Only a memorial plaque, mounted in April 1977 in the street reminded of the concentration camp brickworks. Apart from that the site's history seemed to have been forgotten.
In 1992 historians, representatives of victims' and survivors' associations, publicised the history of the brickworks, in which so many prisoners had died. A special commission recommended a new concept be put forward for the land and applied for a preservation order to prevent further damage to the site. Four years later, in February 1996, the district of Oberhavel ordered the old site of the brickworks to be preserved as a site of special historical importance.
The minister for culture organised a working group as part of the Stiftung
Brandenburgische Gendenkstätten, represented were a number of victim's
associations, county and district councils, the town of Oranienburg and
Havelbeton. They were to develop the idea of an 'historical park' for the site
of the concentration camp brickworks.
The commercial interests of the SS
Planning the conversion of Berlin to 'Germania'
Forced labour in the brickworks death camp
How the land was used after 1945
Brickworks sub-camp: a chronological history