The closure of the camp
After the Röhm-Putsch and the SA's corresponding reduction in power, the camp was taken over and closed down by the SS. Under the supervision of the concentration camp inspector, SS-Brigadeführer Theodor Eicke, 150 SS troops took over the camp. On 13 July 1934, the prisoners were sent to Lichtenberg concentration camp. Oranienburg remained as a "reserve camp" to be used if and when 'necessary'. For decades after 1945 Oranienburg concentration camp was almost a forgotten place of NS terror. The main building had been destroyed during the war and reduced to rubble shortly afterwards. In the 1960s the land was used for offices and the Volkspolizei had garages there. A bronze plaque and a cement bench - a memorial to Erich Mühsam - could not stop the camp from being forgotten and overshadowed by the history of Sachsenhausen.
A permanent exhibition 'Oranienburg concentration camp' opened in the Neuen Museum in 2001. It extends a much visited special exhibition with which Sachsenhausen memorial and museum presented the history of an almost forgotten place of NS terror.
The old site of the concentration camp is located in Berliner Strasse 20 on
the B 96 on the way to Berlin, opposite Erich-Mühsam-Strasse. The small
memorial is situated close to the police station.