The first 150 prisoners arrived in Sachsenhausen on 10 August 1945 after their camp - special camp No.7 in Weesow near Werneuchen was closed. In the beginning, the Soviet's used the 60 wooden barracks of the protective custody camp (Schutzhaftlager) and the stone-built kitchen, laundry and prisoner buildings as well as the special camp (Sonderlager) which shared Sachsenhausen's eastern wall.
Towards the end of 1945 the camp reached its full capacity - 12,000 people.
During 1946 up to 16,000 prisoners were held there, with 2,000 female prisoners
held in a separate part of the camp.
The Soviet special camp
No.7 / No. 1 1945 - 1950
Introduction to the history of the Soviet special camp No. 7 and No. 1
Construction of special camp No.7 / No.1
The camp's many uses
The prisoners are released: the camp is closed
The internees and the convicted
Life and death in the camp
A break in the silence
The museum 'Soviet special camp'