In summer 1948, around 5,000 prisoners were released from special camp No.7,
after the official completion of the denazification of the Soviet occupied zone.
At the same time some of the other Soviet special camps were closed. One of the
three remaining camps was Sachsenhausen, which became the largest and was
renamed special camp No.1. In spring 1950 the last camps were closed and around
8,000 prisoners were released from Sachsenhausen. A small group were transported
to the Soviet Union. The Soviet secret service placed 5,000 prisoners under the
command of the GDR, 550 of whom were convicted once again, this time during the
Waldheimer cases. According to Soviet documents 60,000 people were held in
Sachsenhausen during 1945 and 1950.
The Soviet special camp
No.7 / No. 1 1945 - 1950
Introduction to the history of the Soviet special camp No. 7 and No. 1
Construction of special camp No.7 / No.1
The camp's many uses
The prisoners are released: the camp is closed
The internees and the convicted
Life and death in the camp
A break in the silence
The museum 'Soviet special camp'